Sunday, February 22, 2009

How to keep your house clean

Ok, I'm really not an expert but I've been doing some stuff lately that really, really helps. First I assessed my problems--
Problem 1. Stuff that belongs downstairs collects upstairs and vice versa.
Solution: I got 2 cute baskets and put one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. Whenever something finds its way to the wrong floor, I put it in the basket and when I get time I unload it where everything belongs.
Problem 2. Stuff that I need to give or return to others piles up everywhere
Solution: I have a box specific for that purpose. It is wonderful!
Problem 3. Even if I can manage to de-clutter, how do I get the house clean?
Solution: I created the following schedule, maybe it will help you.
Monday
Wash Laundry
Fold Laundry
Vacuum Upstairs
Water Plants
Tuesday
Put away Laundry
Clean Bathrooms
Dust
Wednesday
Vacuum Downstairs
Water Plants
Mop Kitchen Floor
Thursday
Wash Laundry
Organize room or area (i.e. closet or my desk!)
Friday
Fold and Put away laundry
Monthly Task (i.e. cleaning fridge or oven, cleaning car, etc.
Water Plants
Saturday
Clean Shower
Clean Bathroom

Daily Tasks:
Unload and Load Dishwasher
Sweep & spot mop as needed
Cook Dinner or pull out a freezer meal

I hope this might help someone. It has really made our house cleaner and has helped increase my sanity. Plus, the weekly organizer has helped me to unload unneeded items and I know have a couple of shelves in closets that are currently unused. Crazy! Let me know if you have other ideas that work and if my ideas work for you.

No comments: