So, I've been working on this theory as to when, how, and why babies sleep through the night and I think I have come up with a solution--a very, very complex and intricate solution. Lately I figured out a few of the missing ingredients. I was getting ready to read my scriptures the other night and I thought of a question I needed to be answered--"How can I get my baby to sleep more at night?" Now I knew that there are no scriptures saying "Thou shalt do A, B,and C and your child will sleep" but I know that Heavenly Father loves us and He promises to answer our prayers and often the answers our found in His Word. So, I asked for help and went to the scriptures. In Proverbs I read the scripture about training your child and when they are old they will not depart from what you taught them. I pondered that scripture for a minute wondering how it applied and then the inspiration came that Abbie has to feel absolutely loved when we lay her down at night. I thought I was doing ok at this but I beefed up my expressions of love to her and she slept much better that night.
In addition to the principles we have implemented from Baby Wise (I strongly recommend getting a copy--you can get them for $5.00 (shipping included) on amazon.com) such as a routine of feeding, then keeping your baby awake and then help them fall asleep on their own, along with showing forth much love I have come up with another important discovery. I have looked back at the times that Abigail has slept really well--including the night she slept through the night. Each of those nights I was more relaxed and happier. Last night I had a feeling Abigail would sleep through the night again because I felt great. I went walking at the mall yesterday morning with my neighbor and I got in a good nap, I got caught up on some chores, I got in a few minutes of reading and playing the piano and had lots of fun with Abigail. I even had a few minutes to cuddle with Richard on the couch. The result of all these wonderful things lead to Abbie sleeping through t he night. Now, I know things will come up that will throw her off schedule and we'll still have some rough nights but I am pretty darn sure that if I focus on being happier and take a few minutes of each day to do something for me we wil all sleep better at night.
I would love to hear your comments on this. I hope this information might be helpful to someone.
Oh, and an odd coincidence we noticed with the two times that Abigail has slept through the night is that both times she laughed (and both times in the tub) before she went to sleep. Weird huh? I wish we could get her to laugh more often. There are few things better than hearing your baby laugh and sleep through the night.
Meet up with Malou 2026
7 months ago
4 comments:
How funny, but I think I kind of made the same realization this week! By the way, I found my glasses! Prayers do get answered don't they!
I survived with baby wise! I like the added touch of scriptures!
I always think it's like voodoo--It's refreshing to hear your experiences. I'm excited to hear your commitment for this week. I'm really impressed about the chinese. Are you planning a trip soon?....
I love your theory. I definitely agree that babies and children can sense their mother's feeling and respond to them positive or negative. I love your description of your day! It sounds wonderful.
Post a Comment